What makes our olive oil so exceptional?

Olive trees selected for a cool climate

The multi-award-winning extra virgin olive oil from Cradle Coast Olives is produced from five traditional varieties of trees, each perfectly suited to the cool climate and volcanic soil of north-western Tasmania.

Tending the trees

Cradle Coast Olives has 400 carefully tended olive trees.

  • Sevillano and Manzanillo – both Spanish varieties
  • Paragon – an Italian variety
  • Verdale – a French variety
  • Californian Queen – a hybrid which has only 4% oil yield but is of outstanding quality

The extra virgin olive oils from these cultivars range in colour from whiskey yellow to luminescent green. The flavours are exceptional.

Ideal environment and meticulous management

“Our awards and recognition have come about because we are blessed with ideal soils and a perfect micro-climate. That’s 90% of it. The other 10% is constant, meticulous management.

Tony O’Neil

Each year the olive trees are hand-pruned in a way that will allow maximum sunlight to penetrate.

“Good sunlight equals good oil,” says Tony.

Harvesting and pressing

During the winter the fruit is harvested by hand. This ensures minimal damage to the young olives.

We could let our olives ripen longer and we would get more oil. But the quality would do down. We have opted for a lower yield but a significantly better quality.

Carol O’Neil

To further ensure best practice, the olives from Cradle Coast Olives go straight to the on-site Olio Mio high-tech cold-press.

“Storing olives in bins, even overnight, causes heat to build up, which is a problem that industrial processors find hard to avoid. It affects quality,” says Carol. “We do not suffer that deterioration because we micro-manage every stage of the process, very much including same-day processing wherever possible.”

The X-factor in the superior quality of Cradle Coast Olives extra virgin olive oil is hygiene. Every day, when in use, the olive press is pulled down and sterilised. “It’s a time-consuming effort but, when it comes to cleanliness,” says Carol, “there is absolutely no compromise.”

Cradle Coast Olives has taken out the “Champion Olive Oil” award at the Royal Hobart Fine Food Awards for six out of the last eight years.

Exceeding international standards

The international standard for extra virgin olive oil is less than 0.8% free fatty acid level. The extra virgin olive oil from Cradle Coast Olives has been tested at less than 0.1% free fatty acid level (see lab report), and has exceedingly high levels of oleic acid and polyphenols.

This is a world-ranking, high standard for quality, and significantly exceeds the nutritional rating of most brand-name olive oils found on supermarket shelves.

Olives during processing

How to purchase

You can now order Cradle Coast Olives extra virgin olive oil online.
Visit our online store to place an order.

Our oil can also be obtained from selected
delis and fine food stores, or directly
from us by visiting our Cellar Door
(see contact page for details).

Extra virgin olive oil from Cradle Coast Olives is also the oil of choice in some of the nation’s top restaurants.